1/4 tank issue on a stock(ish) CTD

All diesel-specific questions go here.

1/4 tank issue on a stock(ish) CTD

Postby jason » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:39 pm

On my '01, it randomly started having the 1/4 issue. Quadzilla something-or-another but stock fuel system-wise. I've had it down to 1/8 tank before and it ran fine, started while sitting overnight even. Driving down the interstate a few weeks ago and it started to die; then died completely. $120 tow bill later, it was out of fuel. It was just below the 1/4 tank line.

Nothing has changed to the fuel system, but it starves for fuel below that. Cracked pickup tube in the tank possibly? I have an AirDog 150 to put on it, but honestly don't think I want to deal with dropping the tank and all that jazz. May just put a FASS DDRP or similar on it and be done. The extra HP from the untapped quadzilla is plenty and this super b special has got to go. Too laggy. Scared to let it get below 1/2 tank now. No fuel pressure gauge, but there is a low PSI light that comes on <5 PSI. It hasn't illuminated yet.
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Elite

Re: 1/4 tank issue on a stock(ish) CTD

Postby mopar » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:29 am

Something is wrong with your pickup tube assembly, or the sender for the gauge is going out
-Tim-

2014 ram 2500 mega cab 6.4 hemi - tow rig
2004 jeep Lj - one tons, arbs, 40s, 3 link 4 link, coil overs, cage, atlas .... You name it I waisted money on it
1997 jeep tj Sahara .... Future wife's ride build in progress
mopar
Elite

Re: 1/4 tank issue on a stock(ish) CTD

Postby jason » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:23 pm

I had thought about that, Tim. For the time being, I just watch the miles traveled and fuel level. I think it was at 685 miles traveled when it ran out, so it's within .2 mpg of the overhead display. What is the pickup arrangement like in the tanks? Is it a cage with tube fixed on it? If I have to drop the tank to fix it, I'd just assume put the AD on it.
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Elite

Return to Diesel Tech