Right Front Axle Seal 01 1500 CAD

Suspension, steering, aftermarket upgrades all discussed here.

Right Front Axle Seal 01 1500 CAD

Postby etaxlii » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:19 pm

hey guys just curious but what is the easiest way you all have found to change these axle seals in the CAD Unit?? I've seen several ways online just wondering what has worked for you guys.
etaxlii

Re: Right Front Axle Seal 01 1500 CAD

Postby swirvin21 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:33 am

I use a long piece of 1/2-3/4 all-thread, a few large washers and nuts, a socket properly sized for the seal and a thick piece of wood to go on the inside of the inner C to pull against. Just tighten the the nuts on the outside and it will pull the socket with the seal into position. Make sure you mark the outside and inside of the axle tube where the original seal was so you have a reference point on when to stop pulling. I like watching from the outside so that I don't have to loosen everything up in order to check if I'm in the right spot. Just use a flashlight and watch the seal as it's pulled into position from the outside.
"Dueling 98 Dodge Rams"
V10 & V8, both auto, both SWB quad cabs

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing!"
USMC 03-09 IYAOYAS
swirvin21

Postby jlake4130 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:23 am

good idea! Mine has been leaking a little. I was thinking of using one of the economy seals from "Seals It" in the outer tube for extra protection.
01' QC 1500 4x4 - pure perf frt springs, Radius arms, Fox 3.0, 12" trvl , Thuren bumps and towers up front. Deaver springs, Fox 2.5 bypass 12" trvl, daystar stingers in rear. 4.56's,Detroit locker, 35x12.5x17 grabbers on KMC beadlocks
jlake4130

Postby swirvin21 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:02 am

have to cautious using those as it can hide leaks and cause you to run a diff dry. They are great to use, just be sure to check your diff fluid level more often after installing them.
"Dueling 98 Dodge Rams"
V10 & V8, both auto, both SWB quad cabs

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing!"
USMC 03-09 IYAOYAS
swirvin21

Postby etaxlii » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:46 pm

found today that an exhaust adapter from advanced auto fits perfectly into the seal, I'm going to take a washer and a nut and weld it to one side to close it off. I'm going to take another piece of the exhaust adapter and weld another washer in it for the outside end of the axle tube to keep the piece of all thread centered to make sure the seal pulls in straight. I plan on using 1/2 inch all thread, Ill post part numbers and pictures soon for anyone else who is interested, also the adapter only cost $3.49 haha wayyyyy better then the cost for the actual tool to do this.
etaxlii

Postby PRmtu4x4 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Ill be interested to see how it works, pics make everyone happy :tu:
Four Wheelers of Michigan Tech Public Relations
http://www.mtu4x4.org Check Us Out!
99 Gun Metal Gray Dodge Ram Sport 2500 13" lift, Fun Cun!'s for now..
Engineers Motto: If it ain't broke, tear it apart and make it better
PRmtu4x4

Postby etaxlii » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 pm

Well, I got the seal in. the tool didn't work out quite like i had hoped but it did make for a good start. the exhaust tubing worked out great but the washers i got were horrible and wayyy to weak. All went well but the braze i put on the washer gave out on a side where it was very lightly brazed (because the washer started bending) once this happened it let the seal pull in sideways and by the time i noticed it had blown the seal out. 2nd seal in i took the adapter and stacked another 2 washers on the outside, this worked with no problems. seal is in and 3 days later no leaks so far...... i attached some pics but did't get any after i trimmed it down further, i took the adapter and brazed a washer to each end and then cut the adapter in half. Half was used to pull the seal in and the other half was used to slide into the axle tube to keep the all thread centered. On the outside of the Axle i used some random HD washers that my neighbor had laying around, he used to work on semi's so they were def. HD washers haha these washers were placed on the outside of the axle tube to pull the seal in place. i don't have any pictures of the setup on the truck because by this point i was to aggravated to take more pics haha (more on that in my Member's Rigs thread)

I used about a 2ft section of 1/2 inch all thread and just some nuts and washers from lowes....the washers were a fail haha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
etaxlii

Return to Dodge General Tech