Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix Install

Suspension, steering, aftermarket upgrades all discussed here.

Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix Install

Postby swirvin21 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:42 pm

Bought my Rock Solid Ram Steering kits a LONG time ago, finally got around to installing it. For those of you interested, here's the link to his site: http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com
This kit replaces the spring and cup lower bushing with a solid one. A good test to see if you would benefit from this is to grab your steering shaft and watch the bottom of your column while trying to move the shaft side to side. If you can see any movement this will definitely benefit you.

The instructions included show the process with the column removed, but you can do this without removing the column. However it is awkward, so I waited until I had plans to pull other parts off and did it all at once. Pulling the left fender or brake booster will help immensely.

Here's the kit: Includes: Instructions, 1 bushing, 1 retaining washer and a piece of PVC to help install them.

-Secure the steering wheel with a bungee or strap first to prevent the wheel from getting off center or breaking the clockspring from turning too much.
-Remove the upper steering shaft bolt completely and remove the shaft from the column.

-Place a clamp or vice-grip at the bottom of the column to catch the spring or it will fly off
-Cut off the retainer. I used a small Dremel w/ a tiny cutting disc. You can try to push the spring up some to get more room or just cut through the spring as well since it WILL NOT be reused.

The vice grips caught the spring right after I finished cutting.

-Remove your vice grips and pull off the spring and retainer
-Inside the metal cup (some older models are plastic and manual versions look different) there is a plastic seat. I used a small screw driver and needle nose pliers to pry up an edge and slowly work around it until I could pull it off. Be careful not to damage the column shaft!
-After the plastic seat is a metal forcing cone. I used the small screwdriver again and slowly worked around it until it came free.
-Finally the metal cup which is what is holding your shaft centered. Again, slowly pry around the outside until it is loose. You can't really pull it off, just work it loose.

Here are the parts you should have removed: the cup, forcing cone, spring seat, spring and retainer.

-Check the column shaft for any burrs or scratches and use some fine steel wool to make a smooth surface. The shaft will be turning inside the bushing, any burrs will cause premature wear.
-Test fit the bushing in the column and make sure that it will go in at least 3/4 of the way. Now add some grease to the INSIDE ONLY and fully install with the PVC installation tool. Don't hit it too hard or force it. If it feels too tight, pull it off and sand down the outside with fine grit until proper fit is achieved.
-I installed the retainer loose and reattached the steering shaft to check fit before fully seating the retainer. You CANNOT remove it once installed, it must be cut off and a new one installed. Turn the wheel to make sure you don't have any binding or resistance.

-Use the installation tool to push the retainer up the shaft, making sure NOT TO GO FLUSH AGAINST THE BUSHING. There should be about 1/16" gap between them. The retainer will rub against the bushing while turning and add extra resistance and premature wear if it is touching. Take a piece of cardboard or something and use it as a spacer since it will be hard to see in there, just pull it out when you're done.

Reinstall your steering shaft, tighten the bolt completely, double check that everything and go ahead and throw some grease on the saft joints while you're in there.

I haven't driven it yet, but can feel a little difference just by turning the wheel. :tu:
"Dueling 98 Dodge Rams"
V10 & V8, both auto, both SWB quad cabs

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing!"
USMC 03-09 IYAOYAS
swirvin21

Re: Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix Install

Postby djgaston » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Awesome! Man that is one of those products that shouldn't even need to be done aftermarket, it should have just been done this way from the factory. Thanks for posting pics! I have been looking at these for a while.
Danny Gaston, Dodge Off Road - No PMs please, just email me at: sales@dodgeoffroad.com

2014 Ram 2500 4x4 CTD
2001.5 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 V10

Previously:
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD600
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 V8
1983 Jeep Scrambler
djgaston
Admin

Postby swirvin21 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:26 am

I haven't found any other tech threads on them and since the product website doesn't give the best description I thought it would be helpful. I'll report back after the truck is driving.
"Dueling 98 Dodge Rams"

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing!"
USMC 03-09 IYAOYAS
swirvin21

Postby jmerritt » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:56 pm

for $60 i might as well add this to my steering upgrade while i have it apart for the borgenson steering gear and shaft upgrade come this spring.
1998 dodge ram 2500 4x4 V10. all stock for time being.
jmerritt

Postby swirvin21 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Sorry for the late reply, was out of town. Only special tool will be a Dremel or something similar to cut off the retaining ring in pic #2 and 3. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. Well worth it for the cost in my opinion. Haven't driven the truck much yet, but the little I have feels great. Hardest part of install will be getting the old shaft out and the old retaining ring off, then it's smooth sailing!!!
"Dueling 98 Dodge Rams"

USMC 03-09 IYAOYAS
swirvin21

Return to Dodge General Tech