96-02 Dodge cummins vacuum pump rebuild

Frequently asked questions and How-To articles.

96-02 Dodge cummins vacuum pump rebuild

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:14 am

This is how to re-seal a 96-02 dodge cummins 2-piece vacuum pump. I did it on mine, and found it cured 2 leaks. 1 where the pump mounts to the timing case, the other at the rear, where the power steering pump mounts to. Took about 30 minutes to do, and pretty easy. I attached my own photos, because parts of it can be un-clear at times (although it's easy to figure out).

First step:

Remove the vacuum pump from the truck. I found it easier to do with the power steering pump attached. The nuts that join the power steering pump to the vacuum pump are 15mm if you choose to remove the pump. I found it hard to get to the 2 inboard-most nuts with anything. Pete Gould (maker of the kit) shaved a box-end wrench down, then bent it to get it to work. I couldn't justify bending and grinding my only 15mm wrench, and since I was replacing the pump anyway, I decided to take them out as one.

Although mine didn't have it, there is a bracket that goes on the inboard, lower stud for the power steering pump. You'll need to remove the bolt from the block to remove the pump, and the bracket can stay on the pump stud (not sure on the size, since mine didn't have it).

Next is the oil drain line. I'll have to dig through my notes for the size, but it's somewhere around a 3/8" fitting. The best way to remove it is to use a flare nut wrench. They have more gripping surface, so you don't round the nut off. If you can, spray the fitting with penetrating oil a few days in advance. When you remove it, hold the line so it doesn't turn on you.

vac21.JPG

Once that's off, the rest is fairly easy. Remove the two spring clamps from the lines on the power steering pump, and the remaining line with a wrench (I will have the size up soon). Remove the plastic vaccum line/elbow from the vacuum pump and wiggle it out.

I replaced all the lines from mine, so the pressure lines were not a problem. They may pose a problem if you aren't removing them. If so, you can leave the lines on the power steering pump, and set it out of the way, then remove the vacuum pump by itself. You can also get at the studs and nuts easier, as you can manipulate it around. Then, you are done with the removal. Just make sure to take out and discard the gasket inbetween the vacuum pump and timing case.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Re: 96-02 Dodge cummins vacuum pump rebuild

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:20 am

Step two:

Remove the two halves of the pump. I believe these are 10mm bolts (sorry, I forgot most of the sizes).
vac1.JPG

vac2.JPG

Back half of the pump on the right, front on the left:
vac3.JPG

Next step (and one of the only ones on the front section of the pump), remove the o-ring from the groove. A pick, screwdriver, anything can be used to remove it. Just make sure not to mess up the machined surface. Almost the whole pump is made of aluminum.
vac4.JPG

vac5.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:25 am

Next, grab the back half of the pump. If you turn it upside down (steering pump mounting feet pointing up), you can see an aluminum spacer-looking part. That's the steering pump seal retainer:
vac6.JPG

Take a sharpie (blue or black works good), and make a line for reference when re-installing the retainer. This will ensure the proper depth of the retainer when you put it back together. It also helped me, because I felt like I hammered it down far enough during assembly, but in fact, I had quite a bit more to go. If you hadn't made the line, you would never know if it was in far enough.

vac7.JPG

Make sure to mark the left-to-right relationship on the power steering pump mounting feet, too. Just to make triple sure I had it lined up EXACTLEY where it came off, I drew a vertical line in the middle, and continued it down the case. The marks on the sides can be an illusion, depending on how you look at it. With a line on the case and retainer, there's no mistaking where it goes.

vac8.JPG
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:32 am

Next step is to drive the drive coupling out. If you bought one of Pete Gould's kits(Gould Gear and Electric), you'll have all the tools to do the job. Take the long, skinny tool out of the kit...

vac9.JPG

...and insert it into the flat side of the rear half of the pump. HUGE WARNING/CAUTION!!! Remember the two bolts you removed to seperate the two halves of the pump? If you look at the mounting feet, you'll notice two are longer than the other two (3rd post, 1st pic gives you a good idea). If you put the bolts in the shorter side (like in the pic), it will be level. If not, you may risk cracking the legs off, resulting in a broken rear section of your pump. You'll see why this is important later.

vac10.JPG
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:40 am

Next, take your favorite rubber mallet, or plastic hammer (big rubber mallet recommended), and wack the bejesus out of the plastic tool (as inserted into the pump, last post, last pic). I recommend grabbing the tool with one hand, while hitting it with another. It not only stabilizes the tool, but also keeps you from hitting the pump with a dead blow (your hand may hurt, but at least the pump won't be damaged).

It takes a while, and some good, hard hits to remove the retainer. But suddenly, the tool will bottom out in the pump, and it will look like this:

vac11.JPG

This is what comes out of it:

vac12.JPG

The thicker piece is the seal retainer, the thin washer-looking thing with the "+" symbol is the drive cog. The vacuum pump and power steering pump both have two teeth on their coupling shafts. This just couples them together (think u-joint style here). There is a small square stamped onto the drive cog. Make sure you re-install it with that square-side facing the seal retainer.

vac13.JPG
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:53 am

Here is the seal retainer, all cleaned up. This pic shows it installed already, but there is an o-ring on this retainer that needs to be removed (opposite side of the blue alignment marks). I used some axle grease on the o-ring when I reinstalled it, both to make the retainer re-install easier, and to lube it so it wouldn't tear (it's a pretty tight fit).

vac14.JPG

Next, flip the retainer over. You'll notice there is a black seal in the end with the o-ring in it. Take a good look at the seal, and notice the coiled up spring inside of it. Make sure you re-install the seal the same way this one is facing.

vac15.JPG

Next, use the smallest of the 3 tools to remove the seal. With the seal-side down, insert the narrower end of the tool and give it a couple of small hits with your mallet again. This will drive it out. Notice the seal, coiled spring-side down:

vac17.JPG
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:57 am

Next, flip the retainer over (o-ring side up), and get the new seal. There is some green grease in a little package that came with the kit. I used a little bit around the edge of the seal. It makes installing it easier, and also prevents tearing the seal. Using the same tool used to remove the old seal, flip it around (large side on the seal this time), and square up both the seal in the bore, and the tool on the seal:

vac19.JPG

Drive it down far enough to rest on the shoulder, or lip inside the retainer. It doesn't take much to drive it in, so go slow, and give it gentle taps at first. It should look like this, once seated:

vac18.JPG
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:05 am

At this point, my camera died. But luckily, the more confusing (and although this job isn't hard), the "harder" steps were photographed.

Next, you will use the largest of the tools to drive the seal retainer back into the rear section of the housing.

***MAKE TRIPLE SURE the drive cog is installed FIRST before you even ATTEMPT to drive the seal retainer in.***

If you make a mistake and have to drive it back out, it is a long, drawn-out process to remove the retainer if the drive cog isn't installed. I won't go into it, as I thankfully installed it. But it does involve drilling the seal retainer and using a slide hammer. Remember to install the drive cog with the small square stamped on the side, on the same side as the retainer:

vac16.JPG

This is what you should be looking for on the drive cog, once you drop it into the rear section of the pump. Again, MAKE SURE it's this side facing up, down in the bore of the pump BEFORE you put the seal retainer in. After you put the drive cog in, make sure the alignment marks are facing up when you install the retainer. The o-ring will "pop" in the rear section of the pump, then you can slowly work the retainer into the housing. The legs/feet should be pointing up, with the flat section on your table/work bench. Make sure to keep the retainer level, and try your best to re-align your marks. Once your alignment marks are where they should be, you're done with the rear housing.
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Postby jason » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:10 am

After the retainer is installed to the proper depth, clean up both sections, and reassemble them. I will have the torque specs up shortly, but make sure to tighen one side a little, then do the next, working to the specified torque. That's it!!! I chose to wire wheel my pump, and paint it black to look new again.

Depending on how you removed your pump, installation is the reverse of removal. Just make sure you install the new gasket inbetween the vacuum pump and timing housing. Also, if you are installing a new power steering pump, remove the paint from the mounting "snout" (the part that goes inside the pump, and butts up against the seal retainer). If you don't, the pump won't fully seal, and you can crack the vacuum pump rear section. Sand paper, emory cloth or a wire wheel will have it off in no time. Re-tighten all the bolts, and re-attach the oil feed/drain line. Make sure you put the bracket back on, for support of the power steering pump.

A couple things to note: Make sure your work surface is clean. I put a piece of cardboad on my bench to keep oil off of it. I also used a lot of alcohol and shop rags to clean parts as I took them off. It will make assembly a lot easier if you keep things neat, and clean!
Chubbs Peterson.
jason
Goderator

Return to FAQ and How-To